Sunday, January 31, 2010

My first 10K...well kind of...

Yesterday, I completed my first 10K.....well sort of.... I walked a big portion of it, but I finished it, which I think is the important part. But, it made me ask, "How do people actually get to the point where they can run six miles, or 13.2 for a half marathon, or 26 for a marathon?" Can I really do this? But, I feel like I need to keep working towards this goal. The easiest thing to do would be to say that running isn't for me and move on to something else. But, I don't want to quit. I want to have the satisfaction of starting out at something, not being good at it at all (ahhh...yes, flashbacks to high school and being horrible, HORRIBLE at cheerleading), but working hard and getting the satisfaction of becoming capable, becoming -dare one say- good at it. Do others get to the point where it is easier to say forget it and move on and not get the satisfaction of achieving the goal, or is it just me? I think that somewhere along the way, I have lost a bit of my "fight" or my "try." Maybe continuing to work towards my goal of running will help me rediscover that girl that worked so hard to make the cheerleading squad. I will keep you posted.

On a different note. London's Run was wonderful. It was incredible seeing so many people come together for such a wonderful cause, to see such unity and community support. The organizers of London's Run do an incredible job. It is a positive, uplifting experience and I am honored that I was part of Team Natalie. I am already looking forward to next year.

Blessings to you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly. When I began running a few years ago to lose weight, lower my cholestrol and other health reasons, I also thought about quitting many times. But, like you, I really wanted to keep doing it so I just did. I started out slow, running 1/2 mile, increased to 1 mile, then 2, 3, 10K, and more over time. Sometimes I still have to make myself go for a run even though it's something I now really love. So, my advice is, just do it if it's something you want. It does get easier. You will miss it when you aren't able to run because of injuries, illness, etc. but don't get discouraged...that stuff happens! I'm really proud of you for doing the 10K...whether you walked part of it or not! It's a big accomplishment! I had planned on running one, had a slight injury, didn't get to train as much as I needed but ran it anyway...and I was so happy I did. Good luck and if you ever want to talk running, you can message me anytime...Randy Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how is it going now? I'm sure you haven't lost your fight, I just think sometimes as adults we pick different things to have our "fight" for. I remember cheerleading being the most important thing to fight for and now...not so much (although I would love to take an adult cheerleading class for exercise!!!). I think you have plenty of fight...if you decide to make running worth the fight - it better watch out!!

    ReplyDelete