Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Adventure of the God Run and the Girl in the Red Bug

In one of my previous blogs, I touched on how blessed I felt participating in the Midnight Madness Run on New Year’s Eve. Then I was just reading a Facebook entry from, Gibson’s Daily Running Quotes, which said how critical it is for us to record moments of inspiration when we are running; such as finishing our first runs, etc. This reminded me that I wanted to blog about some of the blessings I have encountered when I have been on my runs lately.
I realize there are many things bigger in life than me trying to become a runner. But it is something I have literally wanted to do my ENTIRE life, but have always struggled with and have basically given up on each time I have tried to conquer. Last year, with the help of my sister, I finally started to see progress. I was up to four miles of running, without stopping. Granted, I won’t be making the Olympic team with my speed, but I was finishing each run - which was so exciting to me. But, as the hot months got here, I stopped running consistently. When I started back up this fall, the struggle and frustration were back, in full force.
So, I continued going to runs, but hadn’t been pleased with my performances at all. So, part of Operation 2012 was to start the year out differently, which I did by participating in the Midnight Madness 5k. I had a bit of a drive to the 5k, so I decided to use my time wisely...I prayed. Yes, prayed. I fully lifted my drive to and from the run and the run itself up in prayer, the entire drive - which was about 45 minutes to an hour. Then throughout the run, I continued praying for strength and endurance to complete the run. As the steps were completed, I would then praise God for the strength and endurance. It was an experience that is difficult to explain in words, and as I am reading what I am writing, it sounds slightly odd - perhaps a little “out there” even. But, I tell you it worked!!1 As I was finishing the last portion of my run, I could feel that I was going to finish the run and I became so excited that I began to pick up my pace - I was THRILLED! And...none of it was me, I know that is was all God.
Not only did I start my new year out differently as I wanted, I also had something reinforced to me; God wants all our “stuff.” He wants the major things, but He also wants the minor things. He wants to be with us through all things. The runs since the Midnight Madness are still speckled with struggle and frustration, but I find the ones that I fully, and truly, turn over to God are speckled with strength, endurance and of joy. If I use my run times to converse with God, to praise and thank him, the run takes on a whole new meaning. I pray that each of you find something that you want to do, and share it with God, and see what happens! It will be spectacular!
Until the next time....The Girl in the Red Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment