Sunday, May 6, 2012


The Adventure of the Life’s Surprises and the Girl in the Red Bug
I was watching Morning Joe, on MSNBC, the other morning and the question was posed, “What about life has surprised you?” This got me thinking...what has surprised me...my response? What hasn’t surprised me!? A vague, general response no doubt. So, here are some things that have surprised me, specifically, about life.
Surprise 1 - Age is just a number? I can remember getting so frustrated, at times, with my Nan, when I was in my teens and 20’s. She dressed hip and happening, drove a snappy sports car and she loved hanging out with me and my friends (horror, especially for a teenager!). What has surprised my at 47, I GET IT!!! She didn’t feel in her mind, or heart, the age she was. Although, my body has aged, certain parts have shifted, or in some sad instances are actually drifting...my mind, my heart, my spirit are still that of that teenager I once was. I don’t feel 47, and honestly, I don’t even know what that means!! How is one supposed to feel or act at 47?
Surprise 2 - You do get better with age? Along this crazy journey we call life, I believe I am getting better with age. I am more accepting of who I am and my likes and dislikes.  I am very clear on who and what is important to me and that is where I chose to spend my time and energy. My view...if it doesn’t add value to my life, or those lives around me, why put energy there?
Surprise 3 - You can find a passion at any age? I am happy to say that I have found a new passion, running. Who would have thought?!? I love going for runs; I love participating in runs; I love having a cupcake after my runs (oh wait! That shouldn’t be here!) Truly, the spirit and energy at the runs is infectious, it makes me want to keep training, keep participating in runs, and keep getting better.
Surprise 4 - Life CAN turn on a dime? I always knew this to be a true statement, but until I actually experienced it. I don’t think I understood how true the statement really is. Of course, I had a bit of life’s experiences under my belt; a divorce, my grandparents passing less than a year apart from each other, moving, being down-sized at jobs;  but those life’s events were anticipated like a slow burn that you know will ignite, regardless of how hard your try to distinguish it. The anticipation of something doesn’t make it any less painful, but if we are honest with ourselves, it’s typically not a huge surprise. So, when did I learn that life can turn on a dime? When my dad passed away. He and I had talked the week before, he had told of falling and not being able to get up. Of course, we joked about it in our typical sarcastic, make fun of you kind of fashion. The following weekend, was when he was admitted to the emergency room. Even knowing that he was in the emergency room, I really didn’t think it was a huge deal - two days later, my dad was gone. Surprise! Life CAN (and does) turn on a dime!
Surprise 5 - Everything in life is a surprise! If you are a Type A,  or a bit of a control-freak like me, that surprise made you break out in a cold sweat. We want to control and plan everything...and when what we plan doesn’t come to fruition, it can lead to...well, let’s just say problems. But, I learned many years ago, God’s plan for me is greater and trumps all my plans. All that time of me trying to fit the square peg, in the round hole - wasted time and energy. Every little detailed plan I had about what I thought my life was going to be, is not even close to what my life is today. And...I am ok, actually, better than ok with that. I am blessed and thankful for this crazy journey called life! I love the surprises...the good, the bad, and yes, even sometimes the ugly! Embrace the surprises!
Until the next time...the Girl in the Red Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment