Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Traditions

Good morning,

As I get ready to make my grocery list, for New Year's Day, it made me think of family traditions....My Nan used to make black-eyed peas every new years day. You may be thinking, black eyed peas? Why? New Year's Day black eyed peas is a southern tradition; the black eyed peas are supposed to bring good luck and prosperity. I have had several people ask me, throughout the years, if I believe that black eyed peas really bring luck and prosperity and my response has always been...I am not going to tempt fate and not eat them...it can always be worse!

But in reality, I think the reason I continue to eat black eyed peas, every new years day, is that it is a tradition that was instilled in me from childhood. We lose so many things about young selves as we grow older, this is a little snippet that I can keep tucked away and bring out once a year. There is something in getting my pot of peas ready and the making of the cornbread that transforms me back to a different time and place. It brings me the hope of tomorrow, while thinking of years past...yes, I get all that from a pot of black eyed peas. I love traditions and sharing them with others.

What are some of your traditions? Let's make this a year of continuing traditions of years past and creating new traditions for the future. Wouldn't that be a wonderful gift! Until the next time....

2 comments:

  1. The traditions I do are on Christmas Eve. I did my dad's family's traditional Swedish dinner. It's one of my favorite meals of the entire year. I'm excited that my little ones are learning this tradition as well! Enjoy your black eyed peas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they loved it! I think it is so great to keep the traditions going.I hope that you have a wonderful new years! By the way, I loved your white elephant gift you made. So creative.

    ReplyDelete