Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Adventure of The Surf City Half Training and the Girl in the Red Bug

Well, here we are starting Week 7 of the Surf City Half Marathon training, we are roughly 19 days away from the first half marathon of 2016. Yes, I did say the FIRST half marathon of 2016 (the magic half marathon goal for 2016, is completing SIX half marathons - more about this later). 

Training for the half has been...well...a learning experience. Which is why, I suppose, it is aptly called “training.” There is so much that goes into training, on top of the running piece. Running almost seems secondary at some points. 

I am learning a tremendous amount during this time. The first thing is how inadequately I trained for my first half marathon almost three years ago. It is amazing, looking back, that I actually completed it, with as little training as I did. A proper training plan, and dedicated training time, is imperative when training for any type of run.

What else I am learning during training!?! 
  • Clothing (ok, clothing is pretty BIG in my book, anytime, nothing like a cute outfit!). What’s a gal to wear? Currently, I find if I am doing shorter runs, shorts are OK; longer runs I do better with capris or long running pants. And, I’m not going to lie, I have a slight obsession with cute running clothes. I would almost rather buy cute workout clothes than any other type of clothing. WHO AM I??
  • Temperature is a HUGE thing for me; this is an area I am still trying to “get it right.” What is the RIGHT amount of clothing to wear to accommodate temperature and body temperature changes during long runs, especially.
  • Hydration is another area that I haven’t quite figured out yet. Hydration is so much more than drinking water during the run; much of hydrating properly comes long before lacing up the running shoes and hitting the trail or pavement.
  • Fuel. Fuel, goes hand in hand with hydration. If you fill your diesel car with gasoline, it will not run properly, if at all; our bodies work the same way. Training has caused me to look more extensively at what I am putting into my body and how my body reacts to it. 


These are all valuable lessons that I am learning during my training; however, I have learned much larger lessons, than the mechanical parts of training for a half marathon. Lessons that I need to learn, or in some instances re-learn. 

Here are the BIG takeways for me,
  • Running with friends makes running fun and easier to do. We sing, we laugh, we vent! I can’t think of a better way to spend my time. 
  • Running groups ROCK! If you don’t have one find one, if you can’t find one, create one!
  • I AM capable of dedicating myself to something and following through with it.
  • The rewards of dedicating myself to this training have been tremendous...on every level. 
    • I love seeing the changes that are happening with my body; I am able to run longer, I have more overall energy, and YES! my clothes are fitting differently - and, if you know me at all, you know this has been a struggle for me for years now!
    • I love gaining new knowledge. I read, research, and experiment on things running related.
    • Emotionally, it clears my mind and opens my heart.
    • I am finally confident in saying, “I AM A RUNNER!”


Training for a half marathon may not be for everyone and that is OK. But, I would encourage each of you to find something that interests you...something that causes that little spark and let it ignite you, throw yourself into something outside of what you normally do and see where it takes you. I know that my little spark is taking me to Huntington Beach, in about 19 days, for a lovely run on the beach! WOW! I can’t wait!

Until the next time,
The Girl in the Red Bug



No comments:

Post a Comment